PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 70.6 Million Units Worldwide
~PlayStation VR Install Base Reaches 2 Million Units Worldwide ~
SAN MATEO, Calif., December 7, 2017 – Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today announced new sales milestones for PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system, PlayStation®VR (PS VR) virtual reality system, and PS4 and PS VR games.
- PS4 has cumulatively sold through more than 70.6M units to consumers worldwide as of December 3, 2017*1.
- More than 617.8 million copies*2 of PS4 games have been sold at retail stores globally and through digital downloads on PlayStation®Store as of December 3, 2017.
- Based on strong momentum of PS4, PS VR cumulatively sold through more than 2M units to consumers worldwide as of December 3, 2017*1.
- 150 titles have been released for PS VR*3, achieving more than 12.2 million copies sold at retail stores globally and through digital downloads on PlayStation Store as of December 3, 2017. *2
“We are delighted that so many people are enjoying the unique entertainment proposition of PlayStation 4 and that an emerging technology like PlayStation VR continues to gain traction,” said Andrew House, Chairman of Sony Interactive Entertainment. “I cannot thank our fans and partners enough. Their support, since the launch of very first PlayStation in 1994, has helped to make PlayStation one of the biggest console gaming network in the world. We will continue to work closely with partners to maintain this momentum and remain steadfast in making PS4 the best place to play.”
On the software front, PS4’s portfolio will continue to expand with an array of games including DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY NT (SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.), MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD (CAPCOM CO., LTD.), Ryu ga Gotoku Kiwami 2 (SEGA Games Co., Ltd.), God of War, and Shadow of the Colossus (SIE). Currently there are more than 130 highly anticipated games and video contents in development for PS VR to be launched by the end of 2018, including Homestar VR for PlayStation®VR (The Pocket Company), The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR (Bethesda Softworks), and Bravo Team (SIE), utilizing the unique VR experience. *4
SIE will continue to further expand both PS4 and PS VR to deliver entertainment experiences that are only possible on PlayStation.
- *1Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SIE. Sales data in Japan collected 2/22/2014 – 12/3/2017, in North America collected 11/15/2013 – 12/2/2017, in Latin America collected 11/29/2013 – 12/2/2017, in Europe collected 11/29/2013 – 12/3/2017, and in Asia collected 12/17/2013 – 12/3/2017.
- *2Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SIE. Sales data in Japan collected 2/22/2014 – 12/3/2017, in North America collected 11/15/2013 – 12/2/2017, in Latin America collected 11/29/2013 – 12/2/2017, in Europe collected 11/29/2013 – 12/3/2017, and in Asia collected 12/17/2013 – 12/3/2017. Does not include add-on content.
- *3Number of title differs by region
- *4Title line-up differs by region.
About Sony Interactive Entertainment
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
“PlayStation” is a registered trademark of Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc. “PS4” is a trademark of the same company.
All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.