PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 91.6 Million Units Worldwide After the Strong Holiday Season
~ Marvel’s Spider-Man Sells more than 9 Million Copies Worldwide ~
SAN MATEO, Calif., January 7, 2019 – Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today announced new sales milestone for PlayStation®4 (PS4™).
- PS4 has now cumulatively sold through more than 91.6 million units*1 globally as of December 31, 2018.
- Within the above number, PS4 has sold through more than 5.6 million units*2 globally during the 2018 holiday season*3.
- More than 50.7 million*4 PS4 games were sold through globally during the 2018 holiday season, which sums up to 876 million*5 PS4 games cumulatively sold through worldwide as of December 31, 2018.
- Marvel’s Spider-Man, launched in September 2018, has cumulatively sold through more than 9 million copies*6 worldwide as of November 25, 2018.
“Thanks to the continued support from our fans during the holiday season, we are pleased to announce that PS4 has reached 91.6 million units globally. We are also happy to announce that the monthly active users of PlayStation Network continues to show strong growth, and has surpassed 90 million as of end of November 2018,” said John Kodera, President and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment. “I would like to express my deepest gratitude to our passionate community around the globe, and our partners, for helping us achieve these milestones. This year, we will bring more enhanced experiences to our fans along with a highly anticipated lineup of games that are only possible on PS4. As we look toward the next PS4 milestone, SIE will continue to evolve, and we will further expand the platform to deliver the best interactive entertainment experiences to the world.”
- *1Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SIE. Sales data in Japan collected 2/22/2014 – 12/31/2018, in North America collected 11/15/2013 – 12/31/2018, in Latin America collected 11/29/2013 – 12/31/2018, in Europe collected 11/29/2013 – 12/31/2018 and in Asia collected 12/17/2013 – 12/31/2018.
- *2Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SIE.
- *3Data collected during 11/19/2018 – 12/31/2018.
- *4Number of Blu-ray Disc™ sell-through quantities and download version sales on PlayStation™Store is estimated by SIE.
- *5Number of Blu-ray Disc™ sell-through quantities and download version sales on PlayStation™Store is estimated by SIE. Sales data in Japan collected 2/22/2014 – 12/31/2018, in North America collected 11/15/2013 – 12/31/2018, in Latin America collected 11/29/2013 – 12/31/2018, in Europe collected 11/29/2013 – 12/31/2018 and in Asia collected 12/17/2013 – 12/31/2018.
- *6PS4 sales data collected 9/7/2018 – 11/25/2018. Includes both Blu-ray Disc™ sell-through quantities estimated by SIE and download version sales on PlayStation™Store.
About Sony Interactive Entertainment
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation™Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions in California, London and Tokyo.
“PlayStation” is a registered trademark or trademark of Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.. “PS4” is a trademark of the same company. Blu-ray Disc is a trademark of the Blu-ray Disc Association. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.